[KDE/Mac] Bug reporting in KDE on Apple OS X

Ian Wadham iandw.au at gmail.com
Mon Jun 30 11:44:56 UTC 2014

Hello Boudewijn,

And welcome to our little group… :-)

On 28/06/2014, at 11:54 PM, Boudewijn Rempt wrote:
> On Sat, 28 Jun 2014, Ian Wadham wrote:
>> On 28/06/2014, at 10:01 PM, Marko Käning wrote:
> As for kded4 (as well as dbus), I use a hacked-up version of kdelibs on Windows and now also on OSX to avoid running any daemons. It disables a number of features, kioslaves are pretty broken for instance, but on the other hand, it saves a lot of support. When I still had dbus and kded running I would get lots of questions about these scary daemons.

I am thinking of bypassing the need for kded4 in Dr Konqi at least,
otherwise we cannot be sure Dr Konqi will run properly after a crash
and make it possible to report KDE bugs from Apple platforms.

DBus we are comfortable with in MacPorts.

Did you see my post on kde-devel re kded4?  Do you know the answers
to my questions?  So far no response… :-{

> This is the repo I use:
>
> git://anongit.kde.org/clones/kdelibs/rempt/kdelibs-stripped.git
>
> branch: stripped

I cloned that and had a look, but found only branch "master".  However
there are certainly hundreds and thousands of diffs.

> It also removes a host of other things I don't  need for krita, so it isn't immediately reusable.
> For instance, no plasma, no kparts, ssl is hacked out…

I think we need some "pruning" of KDE in MacPorts, but I do not have
much idea what as yet.  It would help if KDE 4 had some architecture
documentation, but I have never been able to find any.  And I have
never really understood what KParts are or why we need them.

I gather you must have an Apple machine for testing.  Are you able to
help us?

I am a KDE developer working exclusively on Apple OS X, but until
now only in KDE Games.  As you may know, I am also rather old, but
I had a lot of experience in OS, real-time and UNIX systems work back
in the day.  I am surprised at how quickly I am picking up on core KDE
issues.  I suppose it's like riding a bike: you never forget… :-)

> But I'm really close to fixing up a dmg of krita, I think, I basically only have to hack macdeployqt to also deploy kde plugins and their libraries. This is based on building all the dependencies with a set of external cmake projects, I'm not using macports or homebrew or fink here.

Great !!!   Will you put Krita on the App Store?  Heh, heh… ;-)

All the best, Ian W.