[KDE/Mac] Bug reporting in KDE on Apple OS X

"Marko Käning" mk-lists at email.de
Sat Jun 28 12:01:23 UTC 2014

Hi Ian,

> I had a look at all that, but got further confused.

I can imagine!

> And KDE's "what shall I run this with" dialog seems not to be aware of stuff in
> the /Applications area, such as Firefox or Safari.

Yup.

> One time I did get KDE to accept the full path of the primary Firefox executable,
> using kwriteconfig, but then Firefox bombed because KDE was trying to start a
> second copy of it, rather than just adding a tab in which I could report a bug.

As I've described in that post of mine, I got dozens of Safaris openend when I
used an exclamation mark there.

But I also saw something what you're describing. It doesn't work reliably on OSX.

Another example is when I click on a URL in any KDE application konqueror gets
fired up, but for some reason the URL isn't opened directly, but through something
like this:
---
/private/var/tmp/kdecache-marko/krun/84362_0_121530
---

Also I see now more and more often kactivitymanagerd crashes...
Looks like I finally need to submit a bug at b.k.o. for it, since it happens
far too often. Looks like it's only happening since KDE 4.12.5!

> I will write to kde-devel about some of the above.

I figure you should!

> Mainly I don't know whether we should have kded4 running all the time in Apple
> OS X if we are using KDE apps, or whether there is some way around that. What
> do Windows and Gnome versions of KDE do?

Well, that's a good and valid question. What other functions does kded4 fulfill?

> P.S. I am learning quite a bit about the internals of KDE now … :-)

:) I wish I knew half as much as you do about KDE.

Thanks Ian for all your support! You are just great!