[KDE/Mac] Request to modify kdelibs4 dependency on shared-mime-info

Ian Wadham iandw.au at gmail.com
Sat Jul 19 02:38:32 UTC 2014

Hi guys,

For some time now I have been getting error messages in my
kdesrc-build test setup about missing mime types.  With help
from Michael Pyne, author of kdesrc-build and parts of kdelibs4,
I have finally got to the bottom of the problem.

It turns out that kdelibs4 depends on having shared-mime-info
installed.  It's OK, it -is- installed by MacPorts, but only as an
indirect dependency (of soprano and strigi).

I think it should be made into a -direct- dependency of kdelibs4,
bearing in mind that soprano, strigi and all those nepomuk
dependencies will eventually go.

I will be modifying the scripts for my test environment so as
to define XDG_* environment variables which will tell KDE
libs to get mime types from MacPorts, plus any new or updated
ones that are in the KDE release.  See spec at [1].

I don't think there is any need for MacPorts to do anything about
the XDG_* variables, unless you want to re-direct XDG_DATA_HOME
and XDG_CONFIG_HOME, which default to $HOME/.local/share and
$HOME/.config at the moment.

I see that ~/.local/share and ~/.config get created and some KDE apps
are putting stuff down there.  Even inkscape and gtk-2.0 are putting
files in ~/.config --- and they are not KDE apps.

Maybe these files should go somewhere in ~/Library/Preferences.  Dunno,
this is a huge Apple OS X grey area for me.

Cheers, Ian W.

[1]  http://standards.freedesktop.org/basedir-spec/basedir-spec-0.7.html