[KDE/Mac] kmail's help menu

meik michalke meik.michalke at uni-duesseldorf.de
Sun Jul 13 12:15:26 UTC 2014

Am Samstag, 12. Juli 2014, 12:17:47 schrieb Marko Käning:
> On 12 Jul 2014, at 09:36 , Ian Wadham <iandw.au at gmail.com> wrote:
> > Nope.  Had to wave KMail goodbye 3 years ago - too much Akonadi
> > and industrial-strength DB requirement.  Who needs that?
>
> … I never even considered making use of KMail on OSX.

i even switched from kmail2 to thunderbird for about a year (on linux), when
the akonadi disaster rendered it completely unusable for me. that was horrible
and the worst move i have ever experienced in my >15 years of using free
software.

but i missed it, especially when it came to PGP integration. so after that
year, i gave it another try, and now i'm happy to be back.

within C3S.cc, all of our communication is PGP encrypted. we have mac, windows
and linux users, and it was a really painful process in the beginning. the mac
users had to quit using apple mail because its PGP support turned out to be
unreliable (i admire the guys working on that plugin, but everytime apple
decides to temper with the program, you're sometimes unable to read your
encrypted mails for days or even weeks, until reverse engineering finally made
PGP work again). the only real alternative on mac we found was thunderbird
with enigmail. again, i admire the work, but still it's a long way to a
userfriendly workflow, especially when it comes to key management and huge
amounts of encrypted mails.

long story short: if it was easy to install kontact & kgpg on mac, the mac
world would gain secure mail encryption in a really comfortable out-of-the-box
implementation. i'd love to see that :-)

viele grüße :: m.eik

--
  dipl. psych. meik michalke