[KDE/Mac] file dialogs

Boudewijn Rempt boud at valdyas.org
Wed Jul 9 21:20:11 UTC 2014

Ah, this is complicated...

Basically, as far as I can tell, it's like this:

* use QFileDialog, not KFileDialog
* On Linux:
** KDE: Use static methods, you get the KFileDialog. If you use a non-static QFileDialog api, it'll work except for the save dialog, which will show the folder as filename.
** Gnome/Unity/XFCE: if you want the GTK file dialog, use QFileDialog's static methods, otherwise you'll get the Qt file dialog
* On Windows:
** Use the static methods always, otherwise you'll get the Qt or KDE file dialog (not sure when you get which)
* OSX:
** Use the non-static file dialog api to get the native file dialogs

We abstracted this in Calligra in the KoFileDialog class.

On Wednesday 09 July 2014 Jul 23:02:48 René J.V. Bertin wrote:
> Hello list,
>
> A simple question that just occurred to me, which may or may not have a simple answer:
> Why does KDE use its own file open, save, etc. dialogs? I can understand that they fit in better with the visual style (esp. when changing from the default, native style), but they do degrade overall integration with the rest of the system, IMHO.
> They lack easy volume (disk, mount, ...) selection, and also the drag-and-drop functionality that makes it so easy to navigate to a particular folder in a blink.
> Standard Qt applications do use OS X native dialogs (using Carbon?), so it'd seem KDE does something extra to install their own dialogs ... and thus it might be relatively easy to let the user decide which type to use? (OpenOffice has or used to have such an option.)
>
> Thoughts?
>
> René.

Boudewijn Rempt