[KDE/Mac] Thoughts on standard directories in Qt5 - QStandardPaths

David Faure faure at kde.org
Tue Dec 23 10:00:02 UTC 2014

On Tuesday 23 December 2014 10:34:08 Marko Käning wrote:
> Hi David,
>
> On 23 Dec 2014, at 09:42 , David Faure <faure at kde.org> wrote:
> > On Monday 22 December 2014 20:56:57 René J.V. Bertin wrote:
> >> Those almost certainly find their stuff because it's in the proper
> >> location
> >> w.r.t. the install prefix, as your question implies already.
> >
> > I doubt that. Any code that looks up mimetypes using the freedesktop
> > shared- mime-info spec, is supposed to look into $XDG_DATA_DIRS, which
> > defaults to /usr/share;/usr/local/share.
> > That's unrelated to the install prefix of the app.
>
> ok, but:
> > So if shared-mime-info is installed elsewhere, apps need that env var, to
> > find it.
> >
> > Can one of you install shared-mime-info with MacPorts and watch where it
> > gets installed? And if not in /usr/share or /usr/local/share, can you
> > check if $XDG_DATA_DIRS is set?
>
> It is installed here on my OSX/CI system and its files are in MacPorts’
> standard location /opt/local/:

OK.

And there is no symlink from /usr/share/mime or /usr/local/share/mime, right?
:-)

> and are found by the OSX/CI system no problem.

Interesting.

> I have on this system currently no other ports installed which need this
> port, but on a KDE4 system e.g. kdelibs4 needs it as a dependency, like SO
> MANY other ports for also e.g. Gnome, Perl, etc...
>
> For KDE4 I figure the kde4 or qt4 PortGroups [1,2] define all the necessary
> cmake variables which do the magic necessary for letting the apps find
> shared-mime-info’s files.

Can't see opt/local in these files.

Do MacPorts include a patch for kdelibs4 maybe?
(I can't see a relevant ifdef in the code in git)

What does `kde4-config --path xdgdata-mime` return?

Working on KDE Frameworks 5