[KDE/Mac] Re: Please edit http://mac.kde.org/?id=build

Ian Wadham iandw.au at gmail.com
Tue Jun 21 06:38:09 CEST 2011

Hello O,

On 21/06/2011, at 2:55 AM, O wrote:
> I wrote those instructions a loooooooong time ago and unfortunately have not been able to keep them up to date.

Well, an even looooooooonger time ago, over half a century in fact, I had this schoolteacher who
insisted that everything I wrote should have a date on it and would rap me over the knuckles with
the edge of a ruler if it did not ... :-)  It's been good advice, but painfully acquired ... :-(  I think the
Internet would be a better place if *all* web pages had a date ... or maybe there is some way the
browser can tell me, but I am missing it.

> I'm sorry they've (I've?) caused you so much grief trying to get things to work. I know how frustrating it is (which is why we put the instructions up. There's some irony somewhere there.)

Yes, it is ironic.  You are damned if you do and damned if you don't, but I am anxious to see that no
other travellers who pass that way can get stuck.  Anyway, no real harm done in my case ... :-)  As it
says in "Zen and the Art of Motorcycle Maintenance", being stuck on a problem is a good opportunity
to learn something and so it was for me.

> Unfortunately, I'm unable to update the site.
> I suggest emailing kde's web team and having them remove all content and link to the wiki page (since it seems to work).

Too bad, but I guess John has volunteered to chase it up with sysadmins.

> I've recently gotten a mac, (saturday) capable of running stuff on again, but I don't plan on doing anything, until after lion is released (maybe). Sorry.

A new Mac or a software re-install?  I am also keen on seeing Lion when it comes out, if only
to play with user interfaces like those on the iPad and iPhone.  It looks too as though Lion will
catch up with some KDE desktop features ... ;-)  The Apple store tells me I will get it for fre
 because I purchase Macbook after the Lion announcement date.

Meanwhile I am happy to see in your Techbase page that I can set up KDE app development
environment on the Mac desktop with Macports as a base, which is a real bonus for me.  Is it
also possible to install a full KDE desktop and Linux as an alternate boot or as a virtual system?

I presume so, but have seen no Techbase stuff about that (yet).  I am thinking of retiring my
old Dell laptop which I would otherwise have to keep as a test system.  Unfortunately, changes
in trunk KDE and Qt all too often throw up problems in KDE Games, so one needs to test with
bleeding edge libraries and GUIs occasionally.

All the best and thanks for your help,
Ian W.