[KDE/Mac] Developing KDE on Mac

John Layt johnlayt at googlemail.com
Tue Aug 10 19:51:07 CEST 2010

On Saturday 07 August 2010 14:02:34 Till Adam wrote:
> John, folks,
>
> On Saturday 07 August 2010 13:46:09 John Layt wrote:
> > Being lazy here, I want to set up a KDE dev environment on my Mac to test
> > all the locale stuff I'll be doing and was wondering what the recommended
> > approach is?
> >
> > I have a MacPorts install at the moment, albeit a bit outdated, is there
> > a way to use that for dev work, or do I have to checkout and compile a
> > separate install as per the outdated
> > http://techbase.kde.org/Getting_Started/Build/KDE4/Mac_OS_X?
>
> What I do, as someone developing KDEPIM almost exclusively on a Macbook
> running OSX, these days, is get all dependencies from macports, by
> installing their current kdepim4 packages, then uninstalling those bits
> that I intend to hack on and building them myself, in my case kdelibs,
> base/runtime, pimlibs and pim, along with select things from kdesupport,
> namely akonadi and soprano. I then install into a separate prefix from
> macports, and use KDEDIRS and XDG_DATA_DIRS to establish my "overlays" as
> first in the search path. I used to also have a separate KDEHOME for my
> trunk work, and the normal one for macports, but these days I have
> uninstalled kdepim4.4 from macports and am using 4.5 branch productively,
> so I just use that KDEHOME.
>
> Cheers,
>
> Till

Thanks Till, that's pretty much how I develop under Linux using dfaure's
scripts, so I've tried adapting that to Mac.  If anyone's interested you can
see my work-in-progress at
http://techbase.kde.org/Getting_Started/Build/KDE4/Mac_OS_X_MacPorts

However, I've hit a couple of glitches.  In MacPorts when installing
kdegraphics4 and kdenetwork4 I'm getting an error with QCA:

  make[2]: *** No rule to make target `/opt/local/libexec/
    qt4-mac/lib/libqca.2.dylib', needed by `lib/okularGenerator_ooo.so'.

  make[2]: *** No rule to make target `/opt/local/libexec/
    qt4-mac/lib/libqca.2.dylib', needed by `lib/libkgetcore.4.4.0.dylib'.

Any ideas?

I'm not too worried about fixing that, but I'm also getting problems when
trying to build kdesupport in my own dev environment:

  Linking CXX executable dbustest
  ld: library not found for -ldbus-1
  collect2: ld returned 1 exit status

Trying 'port contents dbus' shows:

  /opt/local/lib/libdbus-1.3.dylib
  /opt/local/lib/libdbus-1.a
  /opt/local/lib/libdbus-1.dylib
  /opt/local/lib/libdbus-1.la

Any clues?  I'm not up to speed on OSX libraries.

Cheers!

John.