[off-topic] Re: desktop icons with relative path to .desktop file

Shlomi Fish shlomif at shlomifish.org
Fri Jun 9 14:43:35 BST 2023

hi all,

On Thu, 08 Jun 2023 16:39:02 +0200
Ralf Mardorf <kde.lists at yahoo.com> wrote:

> On Thu, 2023-06-08 at 15:45 +0300, Shlomi Fish wrote:
> > you can fork FOSS whose devs you dislike
>
> Hi,
>
> only when 2 things come together
>
> 1. you must have the skills
>
> 2. you must have the time

you need2have them when forking proprietary SW too (in addition to restrictive
licences and inavailability of sources).

> A third point, hardware, completely disregarded. I don't mean the driver
> problem, but the variety of hardware combinations that can lead to
> things such as jitter, which becomes an unsolvable problem in real-time
> applications in terms of software.
>
> Proprietary systems cannot be replaced by a good attitude and FLOSS
> only.
>
> Don't get me wrong, good attempts exist, such as
> https://www.cip-project.org/ .
>
> However, it's of no use to the freelance artist, for example, if Linux
> isn't even remotely up-to-date in many domains. If I want to, for
> example, I can play violins with my guitar, that's not possible with a
> MIDIfied guitar and a sample player only, you need software that models
> a violin.
>
> You don't get everything you need to make a living when using FLOSS
> only.

As a blogger/writer, and software dev geek, I have made 10s of millions of USDs
, while using FOSS fedora desktop.

> Non-linear video editing even without all the patented features? Desktop
> publishing? It's not just about what's possible with Linux, it's about
> how quickly you can achieve a result.
>
> We cannot just build a car, even if we have got the skills, we still
> need the time, the room and tools to do this. If we are able to build
> our own car, we still need to get the permission to use it.
>
> It's not much different for software.
>
> Not even an all-rounder has unlimited time and needs to prioritize. Does
> s/he want to write software or does s/he want to produce something that
> already requires mature software?
>
> My everyday user-centric Linux distribution is Arch Linux. I'm currently
> experimenting with Alpine Linux. Something like this is time consuming
> even with a lot of experience. You can't just install a user-friendly
> distro to get things done, there are proprietary solutions for certain
> tasks.
>
> But I must stop writing now, as I have yet to bake my buns and weave the
> fabric for my laundry right after I have sheared the sheep that graze on
> my lands.

heh, reminds me of
https://www.reddit.com/r/EDM/comments/26e2vw/i_thought_using_loops_was_cheating/
and https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ship_of_Theseus and
https://twitter.com/shlomif/status/1542047869989011457 .

--

Shlomi Fish       https://www.shlomifish.org/
UNIX Fortune Cookies - https://www.shlomifish.org/humour/fortunes/

Knuth is not God! Unless you confuse him with Dijkstra.
    — https://www.shlomifish.org/humour/bits/facts/Knuth/