desktop icons with relative path to .desktop file

Alexander Puchmayr alexander.puchmayr at linznet.at
Fri Jun 2 12:04:46 BST 2023

Hi there,

I'd like to use a shared nextcloud folder to deploy clickable shortcuts to
certain programs with some pre-defined arguments (e.g. urls to some web-sites,
programs which need some extra arguments such as a session specifier or the
like).

Using .desktop files seems to be the perfect solution for this, but I'd also
like to have individual icons for those desktop files, for example different
icons for different web sites. So the idea is to create a .icons directory
inside the shared folder from nextcloud and use ./.icons/<someicon> as
relative path with the .desktop file as reference directory.

https://unix.stackexchange.com/questions/428992/why-do-freedesktop-desktop-files-not-allow-relative-paths
explains some reasons why this is not possible, but I don't see another way of
getting what I want. Absolute paths are not possible (the nextcloud shared
folder is located in the user's home directory), and the target audience for
my setup is not expected to be allowed or able to install anything on their
computers. So for this problem, the only solution is to place the icons inside
the shared folder.

I think I'm not the only one or the first to have such kind of  problem, is
there a fool-prove solution for this?

Thanks
	Alex