Trouble with konqueror on http authentication

Stefano Crocco stefano.crocco at alice.it
Sun Jan 31 20:12:03 GMT 2021

On sabato 30 gennaio 2021 09:25:45 CET Erik Rull wrote:
> Stefano Crocco wrote:

> >> Hi Stefano,
> >>
> >> I don't know exactly. How can I check this and / or switch the engine?
> >> When opening konqueror and access e.g. google.com then a new process is
> >> listed with QtWebEngineProcess - so I assume this is the QtWebEngine.
> >> I tried to search for kwebkit in aptitude - nothing found...
> >> Maybe it is hidden in a different named package?
> >>
> >> Best regards,
> >>
> >> Erik
> >
> > Hello Erik,
> > the current version of Konqueror uses QtWebEngine by default. I fear that
> > kwebkitpart may have been removed from it (for instance, I know it's been
> > removed from Gentoo). In the weekend, I'll try to install an Ubuntu
> > virtual
> > machine with both Ubuntu 20.04 and 16.04 to check what the situation is.
> >
> > Stefano
>
> Hi Stefano,
>

> Thanks a lot!
> Please try the SSH access before you logged in.
>
> I found out something new meanwhile:
> When NOT logging in directly on the desktop - I get the 401 with konqueror
> directly via SSH - that I described already.
> BUT - When logging into the system directly (local screen and keyboard) and
> THEN open the konqueror remotely via SSH, konqueror does NOT display the
> 401 - it "waits". But what happens in parallel on the local screen: the
> authentication dialog of the requested website pops up!
>
> So "something" is different when being logged in directly. But the behavior
> is still odd, because you have no chance to access the login dialog via
> SSH...
>
> Any ideas?
>
> Best regards,
>
> Erik

Hello Erik,
I can confirm that, unfortunately, KUbuntu 20.4 doesn't include KWebKitPart. If
you are comfortable building programs from source, you can download it from
https://invent.kde.org/libraries/kwebkitpart and install it (it requires
kdewebkit which is available in KUbuntu). After installing it, in the General
tab of Konqueror settings dialog, you'll be able to set KWebKit as default web
browser engine. I'm not sure whether this will fix your issue or not, however.

As I've never used ssh with X-forwarding, could you please explain step by
step what you did to in the two situations you described? I tried setting up a
very minimalistic server with http authentication and accessing it with using
Konqueror from ssh and I had no problems neither with the old KWebKit nor with
the new QtWebEngine.

Stefano