Trouble with konqueror on http authentication

Stefano Crocco stefano.crocco at alice.it
Wed Jan 27 21:01:47 GMT 2021

On martedì 26 gennaio 2021 22:04:15 CET Erik Rull wrote:
> Hi all,
>
> I don't know how to get this working again. I just updated to 20.04 from
> 16.04 (kubuntu LTS) and before the update this was working great:
>
> I start my Linux box (just power on) and remote SSH into the system
> (X-Forwarding enabled). Then I open my applications and also konqueror. This
> works all fine and smoothly, websites are displayed fine. Until I try to
> access a website with HTTP-Authentication - there I directly get a 401 - no
> asking for a password, nothing, just the 401 page directly. Firefox prompts
> me for the username/password and shows me the page behind the
> authentication. So the server is fine. I tried multiple servers and
> konqueror behaves always the same.
>
> Any idea what I broke during the update?
>
> Best regards,
>
> Erik

Hello Erik,
do you by any chance know whether your previous version of Konqueror still
used the WebKit engine or had it already switched to QtWebEngine? In the first
case, I think you can have found yet another feature which stopped working
with the switch to the new engine.

If your current Kubuntu version still provides KWebKitPart, you could also try
installing it, select it as default web engine in the General tab of the
Konqueror settings page and check whether the HTTP Authentication works with
it. If it does, the problem lies with QtWebEngine, otherwise, we'll need to
investigate somewhere else.

Stefano