Trouble with konqueror on http authentication

Erik Rull erik.rull at rdsoftware.de
Tue Feb 2 18:40:33 GMT 2021

Erik Rull wrote:
> Stefano Crocco wrote:

>>> Hi Stefano,
>>>

>>> Thanks a lot!
>>> Please try the SSH access before you logged in.
>>>
>>> I found out something new meanwhile:
>>> When NOT logging in directly on the desktop - I get the 401 with konqueror
>>> directly via SSH - that I described already.
>>> BUT - When logging into the system directly (local screen and keyboard) and
>>> THEN open the konqueror remotely via SSH, konqueror does NOT display the
>>> 401 - it "waits". But what happens in parallel on the local screen: the
>>> authentication dialog of the requested website pops up!
>>>
>>> So "something" is different when being logged in directly. But the behavior
>>> is still odd, because you have no chance to access the login dialog via
>>> SSH...
>>>
>>> Any ideas?
>>>
>>> Best regards,
>>>
>>> Erik
>>
>> Hello Erik,
>> I can confirm that, unfortunately, KUbuntu 20.4 doesn't include KWebKitPart. If
>> you are comfortable building programs from source, you can download it from
>> https://invent.kde.org/libraries/kwebkitpart and install it (it requires
>> kdewebkit which is available in KUbuntu). After installing it, in the General
>> tab of Konqueror settings dialog, you'll be able to set KWebKit as default web
>> browser engine. I'm not sure whether this will fix your issue or not, however.
>>
>> As I've never used ssh with X-forwarding, could you please explain step by
>> step what you did to in the two situations you described? I tried setting up a
>> very minimalistic server with http authentication and accessing it with using
>> Konqueror from ssh and I had no problems neither with the old KWebKit nor with
>> the new QtWebEngine.
>>
>> Stefano
>
> Hi Stefano,
>
> sure - her a bit more verbose what I did (target system is kubuntu 20.04):
> - install the SSH server on the target system
> - do a fresh boot of the target system (just power it up)
> - start an SSH client on an second system or use konsole on the second system with:
> ssh -X user at target
> (enter password)
> then on the new opened remote console:
> konqueror
> Enter a URL that requires username/password via HTTP
> Now there are two possibilities:
> 1) you have NOT logged in on the target desktop via keyboard / monitor
>  => you get a 401 directly
> 2) you have logged on the target desktop when calling the URL
>  => you get a "busy" icon on the upper right but no dialog via SSH
>  => you get the dialog prompted on the desktop of the target desktop
>  => nothing happens on your remote session, you can press ESC to proceed
> browsing to somewhere else but the dialog stays open on the target desktop
>
> Best regards,
>
> Erik

Hi Stefano,

I tried a bit more - I tried to use another browser using the QTWebEngine and I
found "falkon" in the repositories.
And this browser worked just fine - I got the http login dialog from both SSH
remote and locally.
So the chance that the QTWebEngine is the root cause got less likely.
I checked what happens in addition compared to the falkon browser and discovered
the dbus session.
I have a bad feeling that the dbus / dbus-session might be the troublemaker...

Best regards,

Erik