[kde-linux] Old Firefox Data

Duncan 1i5t5.duncan at cox.net
Thu Jun 20 08:52:42 UTC 2013

Mark Knecht posted on Tue, 18 Jun 2013 17:07:46 -0700 as excerpted:

> On Tue, Jun 18, 2013 at 4:49 PM, Doug <dmcgarrett at optonline.net> wrote:
>> I have on my kde desktop an icon labelled "Old Firefox Data." I looked
>> at the directory it brings up, and I can't see anything useful in it.
>> Do I need it for anything, and if so, what?

> I don't know why this would be a KDE issue other than you are
> apparently using KDE when it happened but other than maybe links kept
> somewhere in this folder I would guess you don't need anything else it.
> If I had all the links I was looking for I'd likely hide it somewhere
> for a few days, make sure my browser continued to work, and then delete
> it.

Seconded.

When I have questions about the safety of deleting a file/directory, I
rename it with some extension, say *.remove or *.2013.0620.remove (the
date), and see how things go.  Then if I have problems it should be soon
enough I'll have an idea what caused them and can rename back and see if
they stop.  If I don't have any problems for a few days or a week (with
at least one reboot or logout/login or whatever) and remember to actually
delete it, fine.  If I don't remember it then, still no problem... I just
do it next time I come across it.  (If it's big and I run low on space
I'd come across it with filelight or du or whatever when I'm looking at
what's using my space.  If it's little and/or I don't run low on space,
no harm letting it sit there for awhile... until a year or two or five
down the road, when I DO actually come across it for some reason, at
which point the .remove extension is a clue. =:^)