[kde-linux] High dpi screen

Duncan 1i5t5.duncan at cox.net
Thu Dec 19 18:37:05 UTC 2013

Tim Pigden posted on Wed, 18 Dec 2013 14:48:38 +0000 as excerpted:

> I've recently acquired a notebook with 3200 x 1800 screen After reading
> various posts I thought KDE would be able to do the right thing.
> However, I've set the dpi in system settings | Fonts | Force fonts dpi -
> which works fine for fonts but things like the scroll bar, close buttons
> and those sorts of icons remain almost invisibly tiny.
> Is there some way to change everything?

Assuming by close buttons etc, you mean the ones on the titlebar -- the
window decorations, that's a function of the window decorations, as set
in kde system settings, workspace appearance and behavior, workspace
appearance, window decorations.

You can choose between different decorations (with more downloadable from
kdelook using the get new decorations button if you don't like what's
there) for general appearance, and then depending on the decoration
chosen, hit the configure decoration... button.  The available settings
in that dialog very much depend on what decoration you're running, with
the default oxygen decoration having a whole set of configuration
options, while that dialog's pretty bare by comparison with some of the
others.

At least on the default oxygen decoration, on the general tab you can
configure both border size and button size independently, along with a
whole host of other options on the other tabs (and there's a whole
additional tab, animations, plus a couple options on the other tabs,
available if advanced is selected).

The scrollbar (and other non-window-decoration general kde UI elements)
are configured in a different kcontrol module, still in kde system
settings, under common appearance and behavior, application appearance,
style, applications tab.  Again the default oxygen style is far more
configurable than the others, and you can set scrollbars width on its
configure dialog scrollbars tab.

While still in the style module, take a look at the fine tuning tab.  You
may want to experiment a bit with the graphical effects dropdown.
However, while I remember discovering at least one thing it does affect
at some point (I believe after someone hinted at it in a post here), I
don't remember what it was, and the effect is subtle enough it was hard
for me to figure out what difference it made even when I was looking for
it, on my own.