[kde-linux] Printing line numbers in kate?

Duncan 1i5t5.duncan at cox.net
Thu Mar 8 04:09:31 UTC 2012

Thomas Taylor posted on Wed, 07 Mar 2012 12:59:40 -0800 as excerpted:

> Could some kind soul advise me about how to get kate to print line
> numbers?  I have the settings configured to display line numbers on the
> screen but can't find anyway to have them on printed output.  It's hard
> to find a particular line on the printed file on multi-page documents
> without the line number (Yeah,
> I know, that dates me).

Not really apropos to a solution, but a commentary on human nature and
technological adaptability...

I was going to suggest just searching on a key-phrase from that line...
but then realized that doesn't work so well on "dead tree media"
documents...  Of course you could scan in and OCR it, then search that,
but somehow, I don't think that's what you had in mind.

FWIW, that's one reason I haven't worried about getting a printer since
my last one died some years ago.  I just don't use "dead tree" that much
any more, and half the time when I do, I end up frustrated due to the
lack of automated search functionality.

Well, that, and I'm in my mid-40s now, and it's a lot easier to hit kde's
zoom hotkey than it is to squint at WAYYY too tiny print.  Someday I'll
upgrade from my current dual 21-inch monitors, to dual 37-42-inch at the
same full-hd 1920x1080 (stacked for 1920x2160), and won't have to worry
about zooming, then... But they're expensive, especially for LED-backlit,
and $1000 plus doesn't come easy in this economy!