[kde-linux] Custom keyboard layout

Anton Blad nonatre at gmail.com
Mon Jun 4 10:03:43 UTC 2012

Hi,

I am trying to get my custom keyboard layout to work in KDE (Kubuntu
12.04). I have created the layout in /usr/share/X11/xkb/symbols/ab, and it
works using setxkbmap. However, I can't get the system settings to find
this layout. In earlier versions it has been enough to edit
/usr/share/X11/xkb/rules/base.xml, but this does not seem to work anymore.
I have also updated base.lst, although I don't think it is used. I have
tried restarting, but the layout does not appear in the layout list in
system settings.

The section I added to base.xml is the following:

<layout>
  <configItem>
    <name>ab</name>
    <shortDescription>Anton</shortDescription>
    <description>Anton</description>
    <languageList>
      <iso639Id>eng</iso639Id>
    </languageList>