[kde-linux] KDE-4.8 and HAL

Dale rdalek1967 at gmail.com
Fri Apr 6 21:42:26 UTC 2012

James Tyrer wrote:
> On 04/05/2012 05:56 PM, Dale wrote:
>> James Tyrer wrote:
>>> I was upgrading my system (Linux From Scratch is my distro) and I find
>>> that the new version does not include HAL.
>>>
>>> Does KDE-4.8 have any specific requirements for HAL, or can it use the
>>> FreeDesktop replacements for HAL?
>>>
>>> I am not currently using HAL because trying to start it locks up my
>>> system.
>>>

>> I don't think KDE has been using hal for a long time.  I actually
>> disabled the thing on mine since it never worked.  Anyway, the new and
>> improved tool is polkit.  So far, I have had no troubles with it.  Given
>> the issues I always run into with things breaking, if it works for me,
>> it should be a dream come true for you.  lol
>>
>> That info help?
>
> Yes, thanks.
>
> Might I ask if you found this information in some KDE documentation
> somewhere?

I use Gentoo and I sort of keep a eye on what gets updated and removed.
 I remember hal because it broke my rig.  I would get to kdm and no
mouse or keyboard and lets say I was very upset.

It's just something I won't forget any time soon, if ever.

Dale

:-)  :-)

how you interpreted my words!

Miss the compile output?  Hint: