[kde-linux] Limit for keyboard layouts?

Stan Goodman stan.goodman at hashkedim.com
Sat Sep 10 16:29:31 UTC 2011

On Saturday 10 September 2011 17:29:09 Rajko M. wrote:
> On Saturday, September 10, 2011 03:29:11 AM Stan Goodman wrote:
> > What is imposing this limit?
>
> So far I understand Xorg.
>
> Someone thought that 4 layouts are something that is enough for all
> practical purposes, like 640 kB memory limit in DOS times, or few
> other examples of "no one will need more" at any time in computing
> :)

Unless I am really confused, I recall that in oS v10.x there was no such
limit, or none that I ran into -- am I mistaken? I find this arbitrary
limit to be a sign of somebody's narrow mind. Probably someone who knows
two languages, English and PigLatin.

I am also annoyed by the fact that whoever inflicted this limit thinks
that it is so obviously justified that it need not be mentioned
anywhere, even in the help system. One would think that, at the very
least, there would be an error message saying "Sorry, you ran out of
languages".

It's hard to believe, and even harder to foregive.

> So if you need 5 or more, you are in the same position as I am :)

Good to have company. Do you have a workaround? How do you manage?

--
Stan Goodman
Qiryat Tiv'on