[kde-linux] Non-functional KDE 4.6 in openSUSE 11.4

Duncan 1i5t5.duncan at cox.net
Wed Nov 23 06:46:44 UTC 2011

FrankK posted on Tue, 22 Nov 2011 20:58:30 -0800 as excerpted:

> Apparently some of the updating I did online in between the DVD install
> and the kde 4.6 pattern install changed some dependencies. Rather than
> risk breaking what I have now, I'll wait for the 12.1 DVD to arrive.

Being on a dialup modem... sucks!  I have serious respect for anyone
still doing software updates, etc, on dialup, regardless of the OS
they're using, and yeah, I'd likely be doing a lot of waiting for DVDs,
etc, too, if I were in that situation.

This is well OT now, but...  I haven't any idea where you're located or
what your connectivity options are, but at least here (Phoenix, AZ, USA),
the lowest-level broadband connection available seems to be Cox's 1.5 Mbps
service, AFAIK $35/mo unbundled bottom-line price, after all taxes, etc.
If the cost of the dialup ISP is added (assuming it's not free), it's no
contest, the cable service is about the same cost but a FAR better always-
on net connection.

An always-on net connection also gives you VoIP as an alternative to
phone service.  Since with a net connection, the VoIP provider can be
located anywhere, competition is far better and thus so is the price vs.
service balance.  With a ~$200 equipment investment, full bare-bones
phone service replacement including nationwide-as-local calling and a
phone system phone number for inbound calls, is $0, monthly, or more
services (caller ID, call-waiting, forwarding, 3-way, voice-mail, user-
controlled call-routing including to voicemail or to faked phone number
invalid) are available for $10-20/mo with a far smaller upfront
investment, tho one may need to pay a year at a time to get the lower end
of that cost range.

Depending on your voice-phone usage patterns, VoIP may offer you either
way better service or way lower costs if not both, thus making the always-
on internet connection look even better.

But unfortunately, such always-on connections aren't available
everywhere, and/or may costs hundreds of dollars a month.  And some
nations, particularly those with state-based telco monopolies, ban VoIP
to force use of the phone monopoly.  (Of course, some places offer 100Mbit
Fast-Ethernet comparable speeds for $20/mo, too, but obviously neither
you nor I have that sort of option. =:^( )

What I'm saying is... look into it if you DO have DSL or cable Internet
available in your area.  A lot of people simply don't realize that for
what they're paying for the phone line and ISP, they could have an always-
on connection at far faster speeds, and/or be paying less for better VoIP
based phone service, as well.  Unfortunately that's not everywhere, tho,
and if you're simply out of luck where you are... then as I said, wow, I
have a *LOT* of respect for those still having to use dialup.