[kde-linux] Re: LCD weather widget not finding noaa stations

Duncan 1i5t5.duncan at cox.net
Tue May 3 01:14:30 UTC 2011

Dale posted on Mon, 02 May 2011 05:26:42 -0500 as excerpted:

> Does that belong to kdeplasma-addons?  Google searches makes me think it
> does.  I thought about seeing if I can downgrade that one package and
> see if it works again.  Maybe if I configure it with the old package
> that will do something.

I wasn't sure which files corresponded to that plasmoid, so I couldn't
equery files or belongs to see which package they corresponded to,
before.  However, based on your pointer to kdeplasma-addons, it appears
you are correct, as

equery files kdeplasma-addons | grep weather

returns a number of weatherstation hits, with weatherstation matching the
name close enough that I'm pretty sure that's it.

Be aware that in ordered to downgrade, you'll probably need to feed
portage the --nodeps option, since otherwise it'll probably want to
downgrade a bunch of other kde-related stuff as well, because they keep
the versions pretty close to synced.  But as long as you have the new
version installed, it should have the dependencies met, and within a minor/
feature series, thus within 4.6.x, versions should be pretty close to
compatible, no matter what portage thinks.

The problem would however be that due to the dependencies, you'll have
issues doing further world updates, or emerge --depcleans, etc, until you
get portage's deps straight once again.

What I did here with the one upgrade related bug I had, was first find and
confirm the individual package it was in, with a temporary downgrade test,
then, using the binpkgs (I run FEATURES=buildpkg for exactly this sort of
thing), upgraded once again and then switched out individual files from
the two versions until I knew which file it was in.  Presently, therefore,
I'm upgraded to the new version (4.6.2), except that I have one file from
the 4.6.1 binpkg copied back over the 4.6.2 version.  So the portage deps
work out fine (tho it would detect the one file as changed, but that
doesn't matter for deps calculation), and I can and have continued my
routine upgrades since, including revdep-rebuild (fortunately the two
files are close enough the binary deps are the same, tho that's expected
within the same kde minor) and emerge --depclean after every update, to
keep the system clean and free of cruft.