[kde-linux] Re: Start-up tune

Duncan 1i5t5.duncan at cox.net
Wed Apr 20 09:02:51 UTC 2011

Wolfgang Mueller posted on Wed, 20 Apr 2011 10:02:14 +0200 as excerpted:

> When kde starts, a short, noisy and ugly music piece is played. If I
> remember well, the same is done at shutting down. How can I get rid of
> it?

Mentioning the version of kde would have helped.

That's a notification, so look under notifications.

Look in kcontrol[1][2], common appearance and behavior, application and
system notifications, manage notifications.  That's the kcontrol applet.
Then on the applications tab, select kde workspace in the event source
dropdown, and find/change the settings for the login and logout events.

---
[1]Try googling "system settings" and "systemsettings" and see what
percentage of the references you get are to this kde configuration app
formerly named kcontrol.  Now, google kcontrol itself, and do a
comparison!  The useful and accurate kde3 name is kcontrol. (It's kde's
config applet for mostly user and kde specific options, after all.  Few
apply to the gnome session of a different user, for instance. and even
when they're global system settings, as with the date and time, it's kde's
method of setting them, not the generic date command one would use at the
CLI, command line interface.)  The kde4 rename to systemsettings is both
wildly inaccurate and impossibly generic, compared to kde3's kcontrol.
They can call it what they want, but that doesn't change the fact that
kcontrol remains both accurate and reasonably uniquely identifying, while
systemsettings, or for that matter, intergalactic warp settings, which
they might as well have used, is both inaccurate and impossibly generic.
It's my post and I chose to use the more accurate kcontrol name.

[2] With kde 4.5 the kcontrol layout had a well needed reorganization.
The kcontrol path named here is thus for kde 4.5 plus.  If you're still
using an older version, you'll need to adjust the path accordingly.