[kde-linux] Re: No panel/taskbar after going to single monitor

Dale rdalek1967 at gmail.com
Mon Apr 4 02:00:55 UTC 2011

Mark Knecht wrote:
> Hi,
>     I've got a KDE problem. I needed to move a monitor on one
> dual-screen KDE box to a different machine. I physically removed what
> was the second monitor, modified the xorg.conf file to remove all
> references to the second screen and rebooted. I now get a normal login
> screen with entries boxes in the middle of what is now the only
> monitor attached to the system. However once I log in I get only
> wallpaper and don't see any panel/taskbar at the bottom of the screen.
> As KDE doesn't even give the option to open a terminal using a right
> click I don't know how to proceed.
>
>     Any ideas what I can do to make the system useful again?
>
> Thanks,
> Mark

I have a single monitor and I have seen this before too.  Usually if I
use the keyboard to switch between desktops, it will usually pop up.  I
have had to go to a console, restart xdm, then login again.  After that
, it works.

I thought this was just me so I didn't mention this before.  Now this
makes me wonder.  Is this KDE, video drivers or something else?

Dale

:-)  :-)