[kde-linux] Sidux uses Kubuntu KDE version for desktop

denis fprckq at shaw.ca
Fri Mar 19 18:09:33 UTC 2010

On Wednesday 17 March 2010 11:04:12 kap4lin wrote:
> On Tue, Mar 16, 2010 at 11:55 AM, denis <fprckq at shaw.ca> wrote:
> > Hi all
> > I tried Steven's suggestion but must have got it wrong, I made another
> > $HOME directory and tried transferring the home over but system wouldn't
> > let me login. Perhaps I misunderstood and should have added a new user
> > that I could unpack the Kubuntu home into, and then transfer across the
> > home files one by one. But if it managed to mess up the Desktop at some
> > point could I back out without having to start over again?
> > Anyway, it looked impossible so I started over again.  I've with a new
> > Sidux install on one disk that I want to hold the home data files from a
> > tarred Kubuntu home directory on another disk.
> > Somehow, the created mess has properties of it's own. which are neither
> > Kubuntu or Sidux.
> >  The point before it does the Kubuntu desktop, there's a prompt for
> > something about using KDE3 setting being used in KDE4, and as soon as i
> > agreed, the desktop wallpaper went blue.
> > I think I'll try Duncan's suggestion next and drill down deep into the
> > bowels of the home directory, There must be something in the Kubuntu home
> > data files that is corrupting Sidux KDE setup. I deleted everything
> > having to do with KDE that I could find before I tarred the home
> > directory, and it apperared all that was remaining was program data
> > files, but somehow it's still managed to affect the Sidux KDE.
> > Thanks for all the suggestions.
> > cheers
> > Denis
> >
> > On Monday 15 March 2010 17:26:00 Duncan wrote:
> >> denis posted on Mon, 15 Mar 2010 14:24:36 -0700 as excerpted:
> >>
> >> Well, the desktop (activity) wallpaper's definitely a per-user (and per
> >> activity and/or desktop) setting.  So it'd logically be stored in
> >> plasma's application settings.  KDE stores application settings in two
> >> places, depending on whether the app uses only one or two config files
> >> ($KDEHOME/share/config) or an entire subdir of files
> >> ($KDEHOME/share/apps/<application>).  $KDEHOME defaults as shipped by
> >> kde to $HOME/.kde (where $HOME is the user's home dir), tho various
> >> distributions change the .kde slightly, to .kde4 or the like.
> >>
> >> Can you take note of the setting when using the default sidux install,
> >> and put the same selection back in after you restore your user settings?
> >>  For kde 4.4.x, look under Desktop Activity Settings, Wallpaper.  But it
> >> looks like it may not list enough info about it (the path info) in
> >> ordered to be able to reselect it, if it's not in the default location.
> >>  (I'm using wallpapers in the default location, so I don't know how it
> >> shows others.)
> >>
> >> Meanwhile, back to the config files.  FWIW, in KDE they're all generally
> >> human readable (and editable) text files.  I just checked the apps dir.
> >> The only plasma related subdirs there seem to be plasmoid related.  So
> >> it looks to be in the config dir.  I actually see about a half-dozen
> [...]
Tnanks Kip
I'm going to give it a try as you suggested. I was convinced that the problem
was coming from the same filetypes in home that you mentioned and tried to make
a tarball of my home containing only program data files. But it failed by
running the Kubuntu desktop and the performance turned out really strange too.
It was using a script for a program which I'd updated half a year ago and
which I thought was deleted, while ignoring the new script which I can't
locate anywhere. However, the new script was running in the Kubuntu version
just last month. It's mysterious.
I've read over the Sidux manual, downloaded and burnt all 3 distros exactly as
specified. I was wondering about the kernel remover, do you know how that is
supposed to work. I'd like to put a couple of distros on the / partition to
see the difference between them. Can I copy the individual versions all to the
/ without destroying  other versions? It looks as if that is what's happening
now. Later on, how would I delete specific versions if I wanted to?
cheers,
Denis