[kde-linux] Strange phenomenon with KMail, MS Exchange, MS Outlook

Alexander Harrowell a.harrowell at gmail.com
Fri Mar 12 15:28:42 UTC 2010

MS Outlook's weird behaviour with in-line quoting is well known, but I haven't
seen any comment on how it renders *incoming* mail containing in-line quotes.
For the record, I've had complaints from MSOutlook users that e-mail I send
with in-line quotes is misrendered.

For example: The quoting isn't honoured (the text just appears with the quote
characters, while in-line quoted e-mail from MS sources is highlighted and
indented). Line-width is frequently broken. The same pathology applies to
messages sent in HTML.

Neither the system font, nor any font specified in the original e-mail in the
case of HTML messages, is used; but rather than just appearing in Courier New,
messages are rendered inconsistently in several different fonts. This appears
to be the case for any and all non-MSOutlook clients - it happens to messages
from mobile devices (iPhone, RIM, but also MS Windows Mobile), and to messages
sent from Mozilla Thunderbird.

Exploring the problem, it looks like either MS Outlook is broken, or else MS
Exchange Server is doing something to mail passing through it (there is a
configuration option to apply MS Rich Text formatting to all messages...).
Switching off everything suspicious (suppress line breaks, "save disk space by
only keeping HTML necessary to display messages") in Outlook doesn't help.

I'm using KDE4.3 and OpenSUSE11.2, with KMail as the e-mail client within
Kontact. Does anyone know of a fix on the sender side?
--
The only thing worse than e-mail disclaimers...is people who send e-mail to
lists complaining about them