[kde-linux] SC4.4.1 Caveats

Anne Wilson cannewilson at googlemail.com
Wed Mar 10 14:57:03 UTC 2010

On Wednesday 10 March 2010 13:51:16 BUMBA LU-KANGA ALBERT wrote:
> Hello Linux comunity people!
>
> I am a dummy, and I hope to solve my introduction into Linux-Ubuntu, even
> while I hope to upgrade into Scientific Linux for my professional
> activity.
>
> Could somme body help me install Konqueror Kde and injoy using Linux as
> alternative to speculations-full windows and similar OS (particulary for
> wildworld computer viruses).
>
> What I want to be able to do is: to download, install, configurate and work
> with Scientific Linux in  reaserch I mean to edit compile and run fortran
> and lisp programms (numerical and symbolic calculations neither like
> rational graphics).
>
> Full thanks..and greatings..!!

Billy - you have a problem there.  Basically, there are two main systems for
package management - which is an important part of your linux experience.  One
group of distributions use rpm packages and the other main group uses deb
packages.  Both are good systems, but learning both will be hard work.
Scientific Linux, like several other Enterprise distributions, is rpm-based.
It's a good choice for serious work where you need absolute stability because
your job depends on it.  Ubuntu, though, is deb based.  Nothing wrong with
that, but it's incompatible with Scientific.

I'd seriously recommend that you download Mandriva One, which is a Live CD
distribution.  You can try it out, then decide whether to install.  You need
additional sources installing before you can play mp3 files or dvds, but it's
easy enough to get help setting that up.  Their configuration tools are
excellent, and IMO it is still one of the best distributions for absolute
beginners.  It is rpm based, like Scientific, which gets rid of a lot of
potential problems while you are learning.

KDE Community Working Group