[kde-linux] Problems with KAddressBook KDE-4.3.4

Anne Wilson cannewilson at googlemail.com
Sun Jan 10 11:30:32 UTC 2010

On Saturday 09 January 2010 21:09:34 Dr. Edgar Alwers wrote:
> On Saturday 09 January 2010 12:44:22 Anne Wilson wrote:
> > First - why do only a sub-set of records display?  It's almost as though
> >
> >  some filter is being employed.  Have you noticed any pattern in what is
> >  displayed or omitted?
> >
> > Second - why are your changes not being saved?  That sounds almost as
> >
> >  though there is a permissions problem?  I wonder if the records go into
> >  /tmp before being finally committed?  Just casting around, but I know
> >  that selinux, for instance, has had problems with that one with regard
> >  to much of KDE user work.
> >
> > It seems to be implied, but not actually stated, so I will ask the
> > obvious. You have tried adding an addressbook and simply pointing it to
> > the existing std.vcf?  That should be all that's needed.
>
> Hi Anne,
>
> first of all, thank you very much for your help. I started erasing
> everything on the Laptop and on the PC, defined new resources on both, and
> started entering a few ( 5 ) records on the PC. I saved the same records
> to the laptop via rsync. A 6th random record on the PC was not accepted.
> Result after rebooting = 5 records matching. I reentered the record, and
> after  a new reboot I had only 4 records !! . rsync from laptop to PC, and
> I had again the same 4 records, not the 5 I copied from the Laptop ! No
> pattern to see.
>
> Similar procedure on the Laptop went _withouth_ problems. I updated
> records, introduced filters, wrote new records, etc.
>
> It seems therefore, that my kaddressbook program on the PC is damaged. I
> agree with you, no bug can be seen.
>
> A few questions:
>
> 1.) what are the backups std.vcf_6, std.vcf__1 etc. ? What is the system ?

They are backup files.  They used to be created in numerical order (with
doubling the __ being older still) but I'm not certain whether that is still
the way they work.  I'd check datestamps on them, for age.

> 2.) if I do a backup, backing up std.vcf seems not enough to save the
> structures like filters etc.What should I have to save in addition ?

The config files.  http://userbase.kde.org/KMail/FAQs_Hints_and_Tips#Migration
goes through the essential files for all the main pim modules.

> 3.) to repair my PC-Addressbook, what would you suggest ? Recompile
> kdepimlibs, kdepim, kdepim-runtime ? Or is it possible to recompile a
> "kaddressbook" alone?

This is beyond my expertise.  If it were me, I'd back up everything, then try
or kaddressbook alone, but that might not be the right answer.  If you take
this question to the kdepim list https://mail.kde.org/mailman/listinfo/kdepim-
users Ingo can probably give you the answer.

KDE Community Working Group