[kde-linux] Dolphin opening a text file as root with Kwrite.

Dale rdalek1967 at gmail.com
Thu Feb 18 10:30:51 UTC 2010

Hi,

I sent a message the other day and two in the past few minutes.  When
I looked back, I noticed they were blank.  It appears that Seamonkey 2
has a bug up its butt somewhere.  Here goes again.  I'm sending this
one through the web part of Gmail.  Maybe this will work and be in
text format as well.

I'm trying to get KDE 4 working so I can get rid of KDE 3.  Things is,
there are things that I have to be able to do before I can go to KDE
4.  This is just one but I got to start somewhere.

I have Dolphin, the replacement for Konqueror, set up to run as root.
When I go to the "K menu" and select Dolphin, it asks for the root
password and I enter it in.  Dolphin opens fine, no problems.  The
problem starts when I go somewhere that requires root privileges.  If
I try to enter the /root directory, I get this error at the bottom of
Dolphin:

"Can not start process.  Can not talk to Klauncher.  The name
org.kde.klauncher was not provided by any service files."

If I go to a text file, say /etc/fstab which requires root privileges,
and try to open that file with Kwrite, I get this error in a little
pop up window:

"KLauncher could not be reached via D-Bus. Error when calling
start_service_by_desktop_path:

The name org.kde.klauncher was not provided by any .service files."

The errors appear to be similar but that is my opinion.  They may be
different.  I'm hoping for a fix all myself.  lol

Here is some info as to what I have installed currently.  I'm a Gentoo
user and some things just updated a bit ago so this list is current.
Some of it may not matter but I'm trying to list as much info as I
can.  The list:

root at smoker ~ # equery list dbus
[ Searching for package 'dbus' in all categories among: ]
 * installed packages
[I--] [  ] dev-libs/dbus-glib-0.76 (0)
[I--] [  ] dev-libs/dbus-qt3-old-0.70-r1 (0.70)
[I--] [  ] dev-python/dbus-python-0.83.0-r1 (0)
[I--] [  ] sys-apps/dbus-1.2.3-r1 (0)
[I--] [ ~] x11-libs/qt-dbus-4.6.2 (4)
root at smoker ~ # equery list kdelibs
[ Searching for package 'kdelibs' in all categories among: ]
 * installed packages
[I--] [M ] kde-base/kdelibs-3.5.10-r6 (3.5)
[I--] [ ~] kde-base/kdelibs-4.4.0 (4.4)
root at smoker ~ # equery list dolphin
[ Searching for package 'dolphin' in all categories among: ]
 * installed packages
[I--] [ ~] kde-base/dolphin-4.4.0 (4.4)
root at smoker ~ #

That is the dbus packages, kdelibs but you can ignore the KDE3 stuff
and dolphin itself.

Is this a bug?  Is this as good as it will ever get?  Will I ever be
able to open these files with Dolphin?  Is this going to work at some
point in the future?  Do I need to change some sort of settings for
this to work?

Thanks.

Dale

:-)  :-)

P. S.  I hope this goes through this time.  I have typed this message
in about 4 times now.