[kde-linux] KDE about-dialog?

Duncan 1i5t5.duncan at cox.net
Sat Aug 21 14:51:10 UTC 2010

Kevin Krammer posted on Sat, 21 Aug 2010 13:34:04 +0200 as excerpted:

> The weird thing is that I am quite positive that kdialog at least had
> such an option at some point, but it doesn't seem to have it now :(
>
> The best thing I can come up with is using kdialog --msgbox and the
> output of any KDE program's --version and/or --author, e.g.
>
> kdialog --msgbox "$(plasma-desktop --version)"
>
> If someone feels up to a "junior job",  adding an about dialog to
> kdialog's capabilities should be quite easy.

Yeah, I took a look at kdialog too, and thought about using a msgbox with
the version output of <pick a KDE app>.  But I decided that wasn't close
enough to what he wanted to mention.  Good to see that I wasn't the only
one thinking of it, tho. =:^)

One would think that kdialog would have the ability to output an "about
kde" dialog just like most of the rest of kde apps, but it doesn't seem to
at this point.  And a "junior job" seems about right.  Given the way it's
standardized, that dialog has to be a reasonably simple kdelibs call
away...

But all the programming I do on Linux is bash scripting... =:^( tho I have
made use of kdialog myself a few times. =:^)