[kde-linux] kdm problems and alternatives

Dale rdalek1967 at gmail.com
Sun Apr 4 06:42:26 UTC 2010

Dr.-Ing. Edgar Alwers wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I have experienced problems after upgrading kdebase-workspace to 4.4.1: kdm
> does not more start kde, but pops up a window with a message "fatal error,
> consult your administrator". Neither kdm.log, nor Xorg.log messages are
> different from those reported during normal operation. As I did not change
> anything besides building and installing again workspace, I presume a)
> kdebase-workspace-4.4.1 has a bug,  or b) something related with authorization
> is stopping the process. ( all other KDE components where already upgraded to
> 4.4.1 )
>
> I could not fix this problem. But there is an alternative login manager, slim (
> simple login manager ), http://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/SLIM. SLIM is easy
> to build (KDE-4.4 users: see patch ) and very easy to configure. It is
> independent from GNOME or KDE.
>
> Disregarding the origin of the problems, there are a lot of complains about
> kdm not being able to start KDE. SLIM could be a good alternative.
>
> Edgar
> (linux from scratch )

I don't know if this is related or not but I noticed this little
interesting problem.  If log out of KDE, let it get back to a kdm screen
and then do a ctrl alt backspace, kdm completely dies or at least
appears to.  It takes me back to a console.  If I switch back to where
kdm would be, ctrl alt F7, all I see is a cursor at the top.

The only way to restart it is to go to a console and restart the init
script.  I don't know if this is related to your problem or not but it
seems to have started with my 4.4.1 upgrade.  Sort of different but may
be related.

This is sort of odd.

Dale

:-)  :-)