[kde-linux] Am I Alone?

Anne Wilson cannewilson at googlemail.com
Wed Sep 30 09:23:55 UTC 2009

On Wednesday 30 September 2009 07:52:45 Duncan wrote:
> James Tyrer posted on Tue, 29 Sep 2009 23:05:14 -0700 as excerpted:
> > I have seen this syndrome before in KDE-3 where stuff worked OK as long
> > as you don't change from the default configuration.  I sometimes wonder
> > if developers ever configure anything. :-)
>
> Well, at least they make it configurable, unlike /some/ popular DEs we
> might name. =:^/  But yeah, that's the only real conclusion one has left,
> that despite the options, the devs don't actually use them much, when
> they keep saying how well kde4 works now, when one knows from experience
> how broken it is in so many places, when one actually tries to use the
> customization options that are available, and that are the reason many of
> us prefer kde in the first place.
>
> Oh, well... it's getting there.  It's just taking a lot longer than we'd
> like, especially with kde3's support dropping as it seems to be, the
> whole reason I even bothered with kde4 when it's so obviously immature
> and partially broken when one actually tries to use it in anything but
> the default config, compared to kde3, still.

I think your comments are are from objective.  Can you imagine just how many
possible combinations of things there are, for a customised desktop?  Of
course not every possibility will have been checked.  The most common ones
work.  If you have a less common need and it doesn't work, then you need to
file a bug report.  If no-one draws attention to the problem there's no way
the devs can know about it.

I'm not in agreement with the statements in your second paragraph either.  I
know it's still far from perfect, but even in KDE 3.5 some things worked
better than others.  The only sensible way is to try out the possibilities and
see which ones work for you.  I've seen features that others rave about, but
when tried I found that I didn't actually like them.  Desktop settings are a
very personal need.  What suits you won't suit me, and vice versa.  File bugs
reports for the things that are important to you, and live with the less
important stuff ;-)