[kde-linux] Another KDE 4.x print problem?

Duncan 1i5t5.duncan at cox.net
Sat Oct 31 22:38:56 UTC 2009

James Tyrer posted on Sat, 31 Oct 2009 14:47:39 -0700 as excerpted:

> I also have to wonder about the size chosen for the printed JPG.  It
> appears that Qt scaled the image based on my screen resolution except
> that because it (improperly) works in mm instead of points when making a
> PS file it scaled it by .719999 instead of .72 (ARGH! perhaps the
> preferred conversion values would be a good idea here), and comes up 1
> point short on the bounding box size in both directions.  Without
> adequate control of the printed image size, I don't see that the KDE
> apps are suitable to print images.

Maybe an off-by-one error?

At this point, qt's printing system is /all/ messed up.  It's a known
issue, tho I don't know all the details myself; I've just been following
the various kdeplanet blogs. It seems like the qt folks just added the
feature and KDE's the first major user and is finding all the bugs.
According to the blog I was reading, there's a major fix (from the talk,
it's a patch fixing several individual bugs) that unfortunately just
missed the qt-4.6 code freeze cutoff by about a week.  Thus, the proper
qt4 fix will have to wait until qt-4.7.  However, in the mean time,
there's supposed to be a hacky fix in kde-4.4 for the worst of it.  But
of course you'd have to be running kde-live-vcs of either trunk or the
4.4 branch, in ordered to get the fix now.  Others will need to wait for
a release, or at least a beta release.

So it really sounds to me like they know kde-4.3 running on qt-4.5 (or
even qt-4.6) printing is more or less a lost cause, in terms of any sort
of reasonable control at least.  Just one more way kde4's really still
beta software, tho seriously improving with each release.  By kde-4.5 and/
or qt-4.7 (I don't know the qt-roadmap in that regard), things should be
finally getting reasonable.