[kde-linux] Desktop widget like Windows Vista sidebar/clock thing?

Anne Wilson cannewilson at googlemail.com
Tue Oct 6 17:46:17 UTC 2009

On Tuesday 06 October 2009 17:51:58 Werner Joss wrote:
> for me, the reason to stick with 3.5 is solely kde4's darn
> slowness/unresponsiveness, which just drives me nuts every time I boot into
> it.
> and yes, I have tried ALL proposals I got to improve this, to no avail.
> to be honest, I have almost given up the hope on a real improvement here
> (which will probably turn out I'll give up on kde and try something else
>  once 3.5 has become obsolete/unusable - I'm NOT willing to buy latest
>  hardware just to be able to run a current OS/desktop at a reasonable
>  performance, as is an accepted standard in the windoze world).

As far as I can tell, the majority of the slowness is caused by the video
drivers' abilities being stretched as they never were before.  All the main
players (video-card-wise) are working on it, but this is going to be a problem
until the video driver problem is solved.  I understand that quite a bit of
progress has been made on drivers for some of the newer cards, so there's hope
yet.

Actually, as long as desktop effects are turned off, slowness is not a problem
for all general purposes on this 4.5-year-old laptop that never was state-of-
the-art.  Desktop effects are just not worth the price, on this laptop.