[kde-linux] Desktop widget like Windows Vista sidebar/clock thing?

Duncan 1i5t5.duncan at cox.net
Tue Oct 6 13:46:42 UTC 2009

david posted on Tue, 06 Oct 2009 00:14:50 -1000 as excerpted:

> Really? Sad. When KDE4 finally gets out of beta (about v4.5, I think),
> then it can be the "default" assumption. ;-)

I agree (to the point I'm sure some around here consider me a Johnny
Onenote on the topic).  I'm fine running betas and alphas and even raw
direct-git-synced repos, and 4.2.4 was finally getting to early beta
level, basically.  4.3.0 and 4.3.1 each fixed some more serious bugs, I'd
say late beta, now, and 4.4.0 (set for February) is looking to fix a
number of others that can't be fixed in the 4.3 series.  I'd say it
should be rc level, with 4.5 being, finally, full release level,
hopefully.

Unfortunately, I'm not sure it'll actually work that way, at least for
anyone reliant on kmail, etc, because 4.4 is supposed to switch
kaddressbook to akonadi, and 4.5 is supposed to be the kmail switch.
That's likely to bring about a whole new set of bugs that will, if
developments flow according to kde4 type, put them back at beta or even
pre-beta stability and usability levels.  If that does indeed occur, it's
likely to be 4.6 or 4.7 before they stabilize.

At least the koffice folks flat-out state they're not ready for normal
use with their kde4 stuff, yet.