[kde-linux] Konqueror as root

Alain M. alainm at pobox.com
Thu May 21 00:26:36 UTC 2009

James Richard Tyrer escreveu:
>> that was a step in the right direction. Just one problem, I get theis
>> error:
>> $ sudo xhost +root
>> xhost:  bad hostname "root"
>>
> That is odd.  Please try it without "sudo".

Same thing...

>> as a workaround I used
>> $ sudo xhost +
>> but I am not sure if this is the right thing.
>>
> Yes, you can do that.  If you have read the fine man page, you will know
> that this allows any user and any host to use the X session.

:) I will stick to that...

>> Anyway, I am gatting the new editor as root :)
> Good to hear that you got it working.

Yes it solved all my problems. I want to have all my root windows to
have a red background, and now it is plain easy. Just because configs
are now stored on /root/.kde. I was trying to use
   KDEROOTHOME=/home/alain/.kde-root
but that variable is just unsuseable. Most configs, profiles etc do not
use it, sometimes I can find and copy what was saved, but sometimes I
could not find it :(

BTW, I used the shorter form that works just fine:
   sudo -H konqueror --profile filemanagement
and it's equivalent for kwrite, kate and konsole. It works bothe on
  Kubuntu 8.04 KDE 3.5.10
  Mandiva 2007.1 KDE 3.5.6

Thanks,
Alain