[kde-linux] Running KPDF on KDE4

James Richard Tyrer tyrerj at acm.org
Wed Jun 24 15:57:05 UTC 2009

John Culleton wrote:
> On Monday 22 June 2009 05:33:03 pm Anne Wilson wrote:
>> On Monday 22 June 2009 21:53:37 John Culleton wrote:
>>> I understand Okular is still a bit buggy, particularly in the
>>> print routines.
>> I've not had any problem printing from Okular.  What have you
>> been told is problematic?
>>
> Printing multiple copies, printing copies in landscape mode. This
> user has a fancy printer that he is trying to control from the
> computer, including tray selection etc.

OK, after consulting with AW, and consulting Google, I have determined
that your friend has a PostScript printer.  This means that you do not
need a special CUPS PPD file or a GhostScript device (their word for
driver).  However, he needs to install the printer maker's PPD file.
You can use the generic PostScript PPD file, but it will not provide
access to printer specific features.

I would think that the PPD came on the CD that came with the printer.

IAC, you can get this:

http://www.support.xerox.com/go/getfile.asp?Xlang=en_US&XCntry=USA&objid=61334&EULA=0&prodID=7400&Family=Phaser&ripId=&langs=English%20(US)&plats=Linux&Xtype=download&uType=

and get the proper PPD from it (I hope).  It should go in (I hope):

	/usr/share/cups/model

That is what is on my system.  It is also possible that it goes in:

	/usr/share/ppd

Then you need to setup CUPS using that PPD file.  Use the web interface:

	http://localhost:631/admin

in Konqueror.

Good luck.

--