[kde-linux] 20090622KL -- Kobol & MySQL

John Culleton john at wexfordpress.com
Tue Jun 23 15:21:05 UTC 2009

On Monday 22 June 2009 08:12:25 pm Bruce MacArthur wrote:
> Greetings --
>
> Does anyone know of a way to work with existing MySQL databases
> from within KOBOL (or COBOL) programs?  Does REKALL simplify this
> -- or just change the complexities?  What else might be helpful
> -- either to have or to know?  Thanks for any assistance
> possible!!!

Not familiar with KOBOL or REKALL. In general COBOL has its own file
system including an indexed file system with the possibility of
multiple keys per record, a primary which must be unique and
alternate keys that need not be unique.  I suggest downloading your
data from MySql  in the form of a report  and then reading the
lines of that report into a COBOL program that will create a
suitable indexed sequential file.

Suggest Open Cobol instead of a commercial version.  Also, use the
mailing list
"open-cobol-list" <open-cobol-list at lists.sourceforge.net>
instead of this one for COBOL questions.

--
John Culleton
Create Book Covers with Scribus/e-book $5.95