[kde-linux] Different WM?

Kevin Krammer kevin.krammer at gmx.at
Fri Jul 10 16:19:43 UTC 2009

On Friday, 2009-07-10, Christopher Roy Bratusek wrote:
> Am Thu, 9 Jul 2009 23:03:46 +0200
>
> schrieb Kevin Krammer <kevin.krammer at gmx.at>:
> > On Thursday, 2009-07-09, Christopher Roy Bratusek wrote:
> > > Hi all,
> > >
> > > how do I add a different WM than Compiz/KWin to the Dropdown list? I
> > > guess it's not hardcoded into the Controlcenter, do I?
> >
> > Which dropdown list, where?
> > (I looked through System Settings but couldn't find any such
> > selection)
> >
> > Cheers,
> > Kevin
>
> In the Conrolcenter -> Personal -> Default-Components -> Windowmanager
> -> Use a different Windowmanager. (I'm on 4.2.95)

Ah, found it.

This is based on .desktop files found in the "data" directory for ksmserver
(KDE's session manager).

Basically any base directory coming from this command
% kde4-config --path data

followed by subdirectory ksmserver/windowmanagers
e.g.
/usr/share/kde4/apps/ksmserver/windowmanagers

Cheers,
Kevin

KDE user support, developer mentoring