[kde-linux] Thought in desperation

Kevin Krammer kevin.krammer at gmx.at
Fri Dec 4 13:35:09 UTC 2009

On Friday, 2009-12-04, Thierry de Coulon wrote:
> On Friday 04 December 2009, Werner Joss wrote:
> > agreed.
> > problem is: there is not much choice left nowadays when searching for
> > such an 'enterprise distro' which still supports kde3.5.x - you mentioned
> > centOS, well, but that might imply other restrictions (e.g. problems with
> > newer hardware due to outdated kernel etc...).
> > in the end, it turns out that all those who want to stick with 3.5 for
> > some reasons, have a hard time now because kde depelopers and distros
> > have given up on 3.5 too early, before kde4 is a perfect replacement in
> > all aspects.
> >
> > werner
>
> I'm not sure what an enterprise distro exactly is, but I would like to
>  mention Mepis that builds KDE 3 on a (for me) fairly stable Debian Lenny.

The term Enterprise Distribution usually refers to a Linux distribution
maintained by a company for several years. The company usually also offers
service contracts which entitle customers to timely issue handling, etc.

Such a distro is indeed the way to go for a business desktop/workstation
because this is what they are intended and made for.

As a matter of fact we (an in "the company I am working for") are using CentOS
and nobody is removing anything from that during its lifetime.

Using a community managed distribution has the advantage of getting the latest
and greatest, but of course also means the will remove older stuff whenever
they see fit.

Complaining to third parties who are not involved in the packaging or
distributing at all makes little sense. Instead either bring it up with those
actually making these decisions (the distributor) or use a distribution with a
life cycle matching your own IT lifecycle.

Cheers,
Kevin

KDE user support, developer mentoring