[kde-linux] Thought in desperation

Gmail lars.koraeus at gmail.com
Thu Dec 3 13:37:30 UTC 2009

Irina I think this Linux is very good for you in your work.

My problem is that we are a hard/soft-ware developing company and we do also
build total signage and traffic control systems.

I have 10 different desktops dedicated for different tasks.
We do heavily depend on all our systems.
- They are the whole Kontact suit to take care o all our different mail
accounts, address book and scheduling and todo's. A very valuable package.
We also use ktaskjuggler frontend. Now gone and we have NO project management.
- We have 4 different own servers + the Internet + customers servers we need
to keep an eye on. We also use ktorrent as the wget for downloads as ftp
programs.
- We use kopete for customer and supplier contacts. Her we before used the
world clock with small flags and local times for all our partners around the
world. The new have lost these features, a huge step back.
- We use gimp, qcad and freeCAD. The last is now gone and we have to look for
something else.
- Then we have as you the office suit, okular. Okular however has been much
better than before.
--- The 5 other desktops for different tasks with Dolphin, vi, compiling
debugging etc.
When things don't work or live their own life we get trouble.
We have about 100 computers to keep up and running.

I know we might have the wrong distribution but we use the same base for our
office computers as for all our developed embedded systems. We have used SuSE
and now openSUSE for more than 10 years now.
From time to time we look at other distributions, but no.

It can always be troublesome to get used to new developments. It can take time
to get used with all the new things.
But when someone remove well working applications and force people into new
buggy one's then there is a reaction. Linux did stand for control but now we
feel that the developers do not care about these things but force people to
use what they decide , just like the Microsoft.

/Lars