[kde-linux] 20090815KL -- "Mangling" Pdates

Duncan 1i5t5.duncan at cox.net
Sat Aug 15 12:50:20 UTC 2009

Bruce MacArthur posted on Sat, 15 Aug 2009 01:05:56 -0500 as excerpted:

> Greetings --
>
> It is VERY early on Saturday where I live, but I will not be spending
> much time with my computer until Sunday afternoon -- so please be
> more-than "at liberty" to take some time with this inquiry!

Yours is a very nice post, even noting you won't be back at it for 36
hours or so, so we can take our time answering. =:^)

> I have an icon on the task-bar which points to some updates that are
> ready for me.  One category (of four items) of these updates is
> described as "blocked".  While I would like to "Apply" the bug-fix
> updates and the security updates, I think that I want to avoid those
> blocked updates.

The update function would be that of your distribution, not of kde.  As
this is a kde list, the above disoriented me a bit.  Never-the-less, I
see from below that you are running kubuntu.  While the best course of
action would be to ask this sort of question on their lists/forums/
whatever, you didn't know that, and since you are here, we'll try to
help. =;^)  But try the ubuntu/kubuntu forums/lists/whatever, if you
don't get an answer that quite satisfies you here.

That said, I run gentoo, not kubuntu, so my personal help will be
somewhat limited, but I see someone else has already answered with a bit
more specific instructions, tho they seemed to address a different aspect
of your question than I will, and there may be others posting as well.

> On the other hand, these blocked updates are for (1) XEN administrative
> tools {I am using VirtualBox, rather than XEN}, (2) Python bindings for
> XEN, (3) General Linux kernel headers, and (4) Generic Linux kernel
> image.  The XEN stuff wouldn't "necessarily" hurt and the Linux items
> may well be desireable.  This leads me to wonder -- "WHY they are being
> blocked?"

Generally -- and again I'm not a kubuntu user so the details may be a bit
different there, but generally -- "blocked" packages or updates can
indicate one of two things.

1) That there's a conflict between something you have installed, and the
"blocked" package or update.  Perhaps whatever is conflicting uses the
same files, maybe for the same thing, maybe for different things.  Or
maybe they handle the same functions but in incompatible ways.  Or it can
be indirect, in that one of the required dependencies conflicts with a
required dependency of something else you have installed.

The way this sort of conflict is resolved depends very much on the
distribution, and what the conflict is, exactly.  Jim's suggestion,
dropping to the command prompt and doing an "sudo apt-get dist-upgrade"
will likely resolve the problem, but it may be that it doesn't resolve it
in the way you wish.  If you're uncomfortable letting it handle it
automatically, or to get more specific information, you'd need to go to
your distribution's (kubuntu's) forums and ask there, listing the
specific blocks.  They may ask about other stuff you have installed, etc,
or they may be able to quickly reassure you that it's safe to let the
automatic handling do its thing, depending on the specific blocker and
why it was setup /as/ a blocker.

2) Sometimes it's a "soft" blocker.  "Soft" blockers are simply packages
that need something specific done either before they are applied or
immediately after.  In this case, it's not really a blocker, it's simply
setup as a blocker so it doesn't get done automatically, without a human
being prepared to make whatever change is necessary either immediately
before or after the installation is done.

Many distributions choose not to do this type of update at all while on
the same distribution version (kubuntu 9.04 or whatever).  Those users
won't see the update until they upgrade to the next distribution version
(kubuntu 9.10 or whatever).  Other distributions roll out such updates
when they are ready, but put these "soft" blockers in place so users
don't end up with a broken system due to an automatic update of something
that needed a manual intervention that never happened as it was all
handled automatically.  But if a distribution uses such "soft" blockers,
there's obviously a way to tell the package manager to go ahead and do it
when you're ready, unblocking it so it gets handled when you are prepared
to do whatever change is necessary at the same time.

> The "buttons" available are limited to "Apply all available updates",
> "Refresh", and "History".  The "Help" and "Default" buttons are still
> greyed-out.
>
> QUESTIONS -- Is it possible (if so, then HOW is it possible) to apply
> ONLY the bug-fixes and the security updates?  Or am I better-off to
> apply all?

Regardless of which of these two scenarios above it is here, the
"blocked" updates normally wouldn't be applied by an "apply all", or
they'd not be listed as blocked in the first place.  So you /should/ be
safe in just hitting the apply-all button, and letting the system update
what it can.  In some cases, it may even be able to safely resolve the
blocks on its own, but as I said, those aren't normally labeled as
blockers then (but distributions may vary).  After applying what will
apply, if you wish, you can go to the kubuntu forums/lists whatever and
ask about whatever is still blocked.

> PERSPECTIVE -- I am very much NOT a "bleeding-edge" Kubuntu user; I am
> quite content to keep things simple and workable.  I value those who
> will test everything, but I am incompetent for that kind of a role.
> Please be so kind as to consider this aspect of ME before you comment!
>
> And THANK YOU for the time you have spent with this inquiry!!!!!

Thank you too.  It's a pleasure trying to help! =:^)  While I don't run
kubuntu or know its specifics, the above is, hopefully, generally helpful
at the level you indicate you are.  Jim's answer was more specific to
(k)ubuntu, but it didn't seem to address the "why is this listed this way
and is it safe to proceed" or "how do I not apply the blocker bits"
aspects of your question.  I can't get that specific about (k)ubuntu, but
hopefully, the background of why blockers happen was helpful, and noting
that if it's a real blocker, the apply all shouldn't apply that bit of it
anyway, until you adjust whatever is causing the blocker, should be
reassuring.  But, you'll have to get someone with more specific kubuntu
knowledge to go much further than that, and unless someone else with that
knowledge posts here in the hours before you get back to it, that end of
things is far more likely to be resolved by the kubuntu folks in their
own lists/forums/irc/whatever.

Hope you get that aspect resolved too. =:^)