[kde-linux] KDE on an old computer

Kevin Krammer kevin.krammer at gmx.at
Sun Nov 16 10:27:46 UTC 2008

On Sunday 16 November 2008, Lisi Reisz wrote:
> I am hoping to put Lenny with KDE 3.5.x on a client's computer.  It has the
> minimum specifications as laid out on the KDE website.  It is a P 2 or 3 (I
> think 3) with 64 MB.  But how realistic is this?  Should I be thinking of a
> lighter desktop or window maker?

That really depends on the expected workload.

I have been using a P2 at 350MHz with 96MB RAM and some KDE 3.5.x for CD/DVD
burning with K3B without any problem.
At some point before it had 128MB RAM and was my main KDE development
machine :)

Of course using KDE applications almost exclusively helped to save resources
since the per-application overhead is comparably small.

You could probably experiement using a virtual machine setup with little
memory and swap.

Cheers,
Kevin

KDE user support, developer mentoring