[kde-linux] Encoding questions (Chusslove Illich)

Emanoil Kotsev deloptes at yahoo.com
Mon Jun 9 12:14:47 UTC 2008

http://www.merriam-webster.com/dictionary/intelligent
> and look at
> "Pronunciation: \in-?te-l?-j?nt\".  (I see square
> blocks in three places in

The encoding for the merriam-webster page seems to be
iso8859-1.

> place of something (some other character,
> presumably).  Switching to utf-8
> hasn't helped.
>
>    * when I copy and paste stuff like that into kate
> it still shows up as
> blocks (that makes sense--I guess the root cause of
> that is that it is not
> displayed properly in konqueror, maybe when I get
> that solved, this will be
> resolved

yes for sure.

>    * many times when I copy and paste stuff from
> konqueror into kate and then
> to to save the file, I get the message:
>
> "The selected encoding cannot encode every unicode
> character in this document.

this is because you are pasting in e.g. UTF-8 and most
likely Kate is configured to save by default in
is8859-1. At least for me this was the issue. Setup
Kate to use UTF-8 by default and it should be fine.

Or when saving you can select UTF-8 in the right upper
side of the FileDialog.

> Do you really want to save it? There could be some
> data lost."

Yeah, me suffered also few times  because of this.

> One example of what causes this is smart quotes.
>
> Again, switching to utf-8 hasn't improved any of the
> situations.

A deeper issue could be also the locale settings of
your system, but as it was mentioned if you get a font
that has a complete set of glyphs and configure KDE
(Konq and Kate) properly. It should work.

It took me about a month a year ago to get everything
right, because I was using IPA/Cyrillic and Greek
letters. I tought then I'm lucky not using arab or
similiar fonts/encodings.

hope this helps

kind regards