[kde-linux] Force a window to open in a particular desktop

Bob McGowan bob_mcgowan at symantec.com
Thu Jun 5 15:39:57 UTC 2008

Ben Forbes wrote:
> Hmmm that's ok initially, but I've got a script running all the time,
> checking if firefox is open, and if it's not, I open a new one. It
> keeps stealing focus though! I turned "Focus Stealing Prevention" up
> to extreme, but it still happens. Actually Firefox is the worst
> offender, Konsole behaves fine.
>
>> Sounds like you need to use the Session Manager.  Configure > KDE
>> Components > Session Manager.  Select the option you need under "On
>> Login".  I use the manually saved session myself.  I get everything
>> where I want it and then save the session, it's under the little start
>> thingy, then it will start up the same way every time I login.

Hi,

Dale, thanks for the pointers.  I've wanted for a long time to have more
control over window placement, etc. and your notes pointed me to the
right place.

I notice that there are two "Special" items in the "Advanced" menu, one
for "Window", the other for "Application".

The settings window for both of these look very much alike.  Could you
provide some illumination as to what the difference is?

Ben, you may want to look at the other geometry, preferences and
workarounds options, play around with them a bit, you may find some
combination of settings that does what you want.

For what it's worth (in other words, totally untested), it may be
necessary to set similar values for both the "Window" and the
"Application" edit settings windows, to get focus stealing prevention to
work.

--
Bob McGowan