[kde-linux] Kuser

Sylviane et Perry White spwhite at freesurf.ch
Thu Jan 3 16:06:59 UTC 2008

On Wednesday 02 January 2008 16:27:00 Pierre Giroux wrote:
> >> I'm using KDE Debian and I have a problem with KUser, I can't use the
> >> buttons ADD DELETE users or groups, they are grayed, any help will be
> >> appreciated.
> >
> > It can only be run as root.
>
> I forgot to wrote that I log as root...
Salut Pierre,

It is either unwise or not enough.
On most systems, e.g. Suse it is unwise.
On Ubuntu (debian based IIRC) it is not enough, or more exactly you are not
really loged in as root, it is just that the password that the first user
(the one who installed Ubuntu) types to login into his account is the same a
the root password. (hope I got it right, I'm no expert)
The programs to change the settings of the system  (Réglage du système) I have
seen on those platforms all had a button near the bottom right, to go into
administrator mode.

Good luck       Perry

--
BOFH excuse #123: user to computer ratio too high