[kde-linux] 'End Session' problem

Anne Wilson cannewilson at googlemail.com
Sat Feb 9 10:34:02 UTC 2008

On Saturday 09 February 2008 09:15, M K wrote:
> > > Now, after patching the KDE bug, after a logout X STILL sporadically
> > > doesn't return to the login screen, but stays with a black screen and
> > > mouse cursor - at least, now I can restart X with 'init 3; init 5' and
> > > don't have to reboot (ctrl+alt+backspace still doesn't work). Now I
> > > don't know if it's a configuration error or a problem with NVIDIA
> > > drivers (or something else).
> > >

> > > P.S. Oh yeah, this time there's nothing in the Xorg.#.log or
> > > .xsession-errors - they both have exactly the same entries as when the
> > > logout runs normally.
> >
> > Hmm - this is a laptop with an ATi Mobility Radeon X600.  I wonder if it
> > really is an X problem.  All the same, if it is, why doesn't it affect
> > shutting down or rebooting?  You've given me food for thought, but I'm
> > not absolutely convinced.
>
> I think shutdown or reboot are not affected 'cause these are not strict X
> routines, but the logoff... don't know if it's a total trash what I've just
> said :-)

You could be right, though.  One thing is clear, the same distro performs
perfectly on my old, non-ATi, laptop.  I had no problem with the 2007 and
2007.1 versions of Mandriva, but then the Radeon X600 wasn't said to be
supported by the kernel drivers, so I would have been using a simpler video
driver.  I guess the only way to test the theory is to find out how to load
the old (vesa?) driver instead of the current one.  I'm pushed for time at
the moment, but I'll try to look into that over the next day or two.