[kde-linux] 'End Session' problem

Anne Wilson cannewilson at googlemail.com
Fri Feb 8 11:15:48 UTC 2008

On my laptop I am unable to 'End Session'.  I suspect that this is caused by
something left over from a previous install, but so far haven't been able to
find it.  I can shut down cleanly and also reboot cleanly, but if I 'End
Session' I see about 1 second of normal activity, then the screen flashes and
is replaced by a black screen with a cursor in the top left-hand corner.
There is considerable disk activity for about 5 seconds, then nothing.  There
it hangs until I touch the power button, at which time it begins a shutdown
routine.

It looks as though the shutdown is expecting to have to deal with a service
that it can't find.  I used to start with a previously saved session, but it
is now set to start with an empty session.  I'm really stuck for ideas to
check.