[kde-linux] k3b won't verify data

Anne Wilson cannewilson at googlemail.com
Tue Feb 5 18:27:00 UTC 2008

On Tuesday 05 February 2008 10:51:43 david wrote:
> Anne Wilson wrote:
>
> I don't burn DVD's at all - my drive is incapable of burning a DVD. It
> can READ a DVD, but the only thing it can burn is a CD. The drive is a
> Toshiba DVD-ROM SD-R2512. I believe it was pretty much the standard
> Toshiba optical drive used in all their laptops at the time.

Sorry - I got  confused :-)  You have the problem with CDs, and Gaffer has the
problem with DVDs but not CDs, if I understand correctly.

> > Sorry I can't suggest anything more helpful.  I thought of mdsums, but a
> > burned disk would have a different sum to the original iso.  That's how
> > k3b verifies anyway, but I think Gaffer is right, and it's not the verify
> > that's failing, but communication.
>
> I suspect it is, too. At least, k3b *thinks* it has begun the
> verification process, it just never gets any action from the drive.
> Possibly something in HAL, perhaps, that trips up just k3b. I haven't
> tried Gnome's CD burning software. If it has the same problem, then I'd
> think that would place the problem somewhere below k3b's level. If it
> doesn't have a problem, then I'd think it's somewhere in KDE or k3b ...
> to big an area to search.

ISTR that you can actually see, somewhere in k3b, the command that it is about
to give to do the burn and verify.  Could you try pasting that command into a
console, to see whether it works?  That would verify whether k3b is actually
involved or not.  If it doesn't work at the command line either, then you are
both probably right - a bug in hal or similar.