[kde-linux] Child windows not appearing - KDE 3.5.7

Kevin Krammer kevin.krammer at gmx.at
Tue Nov 13 09:54:00 UTC 2007

On Monday 12 November 2007, David Boston wrote:
> Kevin Krammer wrote:
>
> On Wednesday 07 November 2007, David Boston wrote:
>  >> Hello people,
>  >>      I have a bit of an odd one on KDE 3.5.7-1.fc6 built for Fedora
>  >> core 6 on x86.
>  >>      An application that opens child windows that contain some motif
>  >> widgets to display a text file won't work on the above KDE - there's
>  >> just a flash on the screen the shape of the window and it vanishes as
>  >> if it was a remote window without permission to be there. They do work
>  >> on
>  >
>  >Can you check if they are probably just moved to the background, i.e.
>  >they are created but the current window is kept as the "top most" one.
>
> Unfortunately this is not the case.  There's just a flash the shape of
> the window even on a bare spot of the desktop and then it is gone.

Ah, too bad.

>  >The application in question might not set the proper window manager
>  >hints to detect this association.
>
> That is fairly likely since the application is some commercial software
> probably older than linux and ported from IRIX, SunOS etc.  It's
> geophysical software called ProMAX which has been updated for linux
> 2.6.* but they may have missed a few things.

Hmm, well, since you report has been working with an older KDE version, it
could be a regression in KWin.

Do you have the option of testing with a different distribution? E.g. running
a live CD like Knoppix and check if it works when you use that as the remote
display?

Cheers,
Kevin

KDE user support, developer mentoring