[kde-linux] KDE 3 Beta

david gnome at hawaii.rr.com
Fri Nov 2 09:10:42 UTC 2007

Anne Wilson wrote:
>>> I am in basic agreement with that idea.  That is why I propose two
>>> releases stable and unstable.
>> The "other camp" is in a different situation than Joe Ordinary User. If
>> Joe's system won't come up after an update - oh, well. But if you are IT
>> director keeping vital corporate databases alive on a server - you can't
>> afford to have that server crash because of some error in an update.
>>
>> But, anyway, I thought that's why there were branches of Linux such as
>> Stable and Testing/Unstable?
>
> Precisely.  Enterprise releases have stable, well-tested packages but not the
> latest and greatest,  Typically they offer security fixes for 5 years, but
> feature updates are not a priority.  They are perfect for the scenario you
> describe.

My wife ran an older Stable distribution for years and years, and many
times the only updates her system received were security fixes.

Anyway, I think the original poster was proposing the same idea as the
existing Stable and Testing/Unstable releases, just maybe not aware that
they already exist.

--
David
gnome at hawaii.rr.com